Kitchen and bathroom renovations are the most common among homeowners looking to transform their living space. If you’re about to embark on a house renovation, surely you’re going to be investing a lot of hours, energy, or money (possibly all three) on creating your perfect home. After all, the kitchen is the heart of the home, and the bathroom, well, it’s essential, but you already know that.
How do you know that you’re going to love your new space in 1, 5, or even 10 years from now? Will you get tired of your new bathroom or kitchen? There are some tips and tricks to consider to guarantee you love your space for years to come. We have some ideas on what you can do to turn your house into a dream home, and keep loving it!
Tip #1: Find A Reputable Renovation Company:
The house renovation team (builder, architect, and interior designer) you go with can seriously make or break your renovation experience. Think about it, if whoever you hire does a lackluster kitchen and bathroom renovation, you’re not going to like it from the get-go, never mind a couple of years down the road.
Start with finding a renovation company that’s right for you. Most homeowners recommend going with someone local. It’s usually the best option for both parties. Whoever you go with, you should feel confident and comfortable in their communication, craftsmanship, experience, and integrity. Remember, these people are coming into your home to tear it down and essentially put it back together – you want someone you can trust.
Not sure what kind of questions to ask when picking a renovation company? Always be sure to ask the hard-hitting questions. Use the checklist below for some ideas:
- Do you have experience renovating similar homes to mine?
- Can you tell me more about your estimating process?
- How do you make sure your budgets are accurate?
- How long does it take for me to receive an estimate on my renovation project?
- How long do you think my renovation will take?
- If there are changes to the design or “surprises” that result in extra cost, what does that process look like?
Tip #2: Consider Your Daily Routine
Why are you undergoing a house renovation in the first place? Whether you’re transforming your bathroom or kitchen, surely you have a reason as to why your current space isn’t working. To make sure you continue to love your new room for a long time, design it with purpose. Is your kitchen non-functional? Be sure to work closely with your renovation company so their designer can help create a space that fits your needs, whatever that may be.
Maybe your bathroom isn’t the place where you feel like you can relax and soak in the tub or even take a quick refreshing shower. When it comes to designating a space that you’ll continue to love, design it with yourself in mind. Think about what kind of daily struggles you face in your living spaces, like not enough counter space to cook on, no room for a washer/dryer in the bathroom, or the layout is incredibly hard to keep clean. You’ll enjoy your new space so much more if it’s centered around your needs.
Tip #3: Invest In High-Quality Products:
There are definitely some areas in any house renovation that are splurge-worthy. Picking out good products is one of them. Quality pieces can be a key element to creating a living space you’ll love for a long time. While we don’t all have an unlimited budget, investing in well-made furnishings and accessories is usually worth it. There’s nothing that will make you start hating your new space more than tiles chipping, fixtures falling apart, or discolored cabinets.
It can be hard to decipher where you should spend and where to save. Here are some kitchen and bathroom renovation splurges to consider to make it a little easier.
- Bathroom Fixtures – Sure, you can pick up a nice-looking faucet and shower head for cheap, but do the savings outweigh the loss of functionality? Invest in fixtures that will last longer so you don’t have to worry about good water pressure or whether or not the finish will wear off in a year. Plus, poor quality fixtures can lead to leaks. You don’t want to have to pay for those repair costs down the road.
- Flooring – Your home renovation company will likely be installing new flooring in kitchen and bathroom renovations. Often, we overlook the need for high-quality floors like hardwood or a sturdy tile. After all, it’s just going to be stepped on, right? Well, that’s the very reason why it’s necessary to invest in a durable floor, good quality, and long-lasting. You won’t still love your new bathroom when the floor tiles aren’t slip-resistant, and you risk falling every time you shower.
- Kitchen Cabinets – Don’t skimp on kitchen cabinetry. Your kitchen cabinets will probably see more daily wear and tear than almost any other fixture in your home. If they’re not top-quality, the cabinets can start to tarnish quicker. Kitchen cabinets should be made from long-lasting materials that can withstand repeated use.
Tip #4: Think About Your Must-Haves:
When it comes to kitchen and bathroom renovations, we all have the things that we can’t seem to live without. Maybe your dream bathroom will have a vintage-style freestanding tub, or your ideal kitchen will have an island and enough counter space to prep for a 5-course meal – whatever your must-have item is, try your best to work it in the new design.
At Venaso Selections, we can help turn your visions for your home into a reality. Every products on the display in our showroom will give you a touch of novelty. We want you to love your home renovations for years to come—work one-on-one with our team of contractors and designers. We’ll help you with every aspect of the renovation, from start to finish. If you’ve already chosen to transform your space, count on us to get the job done right.